The Guardian · US news · Original story
US announces charges against 15 people in Minnesota over alleged $90m healthcare scheme
Assistant US attorney general claims services in state subject to ‘shocking’ levels of fraud, which he labels a ‘crisis’
The Trump administration broke new ground in its offensive against alleged fraud in Minnesota’s social services on Thursday as the US Department of Justice announced charges against 15 people accused of cheating a government healthcare program to the tune of $90m.
At a news conference in Minneapolis that underscored Donald Trump’s fierce focus on the state and Tim Walz, its Democratic governor, Colin McDonald, assistant US attorney general, told journalists that services had been subject to “shocking” levels of fraud, which he labelled a “crisis”.
Continue reading...
Robert Tait · Thu, May 21, 2026, 2:00 PM
US news | The Guardian
Assistant US attorney general claims services in state subject to ‘shocking’ levels of fraud, which he labels a ‘crisis’
The Trump administration broke new ground in its offensive against alleged fraud in Minnesota’s social services on Thursday as the US Department of Justice announced charges against 15 people accused of cheating a government healthcare program to the tune of $90m.
At a news conference in Minneapolis that underscored Donald Trump’s fierce focus on the state and Tim Walz, its Democratic governor, Colin McDonald, assistant US attorney general, told journalists that services had been subject to “shocking” levels of fraud, which he labelled a “crisis”.
Continue reading...This page shows an excerpt; reporting belongs to the original publisher. Some images or embeds may be omitted compared with the live article.
← More stories · Front page